Jobs in Kenya
Scott Theological College
Job title: Principal, Scott Theological College
Terms: Five year contract with a possibility for renew
Scott Theological College (STC) founded in 1962 by the Africa Inland Church (AIC) – Kenya, is a private charted Christian University providing programs leading to certificate, Diploma, Bachelor of Theology and Masters of Education via distant learning.
Central to the College’s worldview is affirmation of God as triune, personal, creator and sustainer of all that is. The college is a training arm of AIC; As such the college asserts its right to employ persons who subscribe to its intent and mission.
The college is currently undergoing major transformation, first, with the name changing to Scott Christian University (SCU) and an expansion of programs to include other disciplines with the aim of preparing men and women for all Christian service to mankind.
The college is based in Machakos, but it is also establishing satellite campuses in other parts of the country. With this expansion in mind, the College is seeking to recruit a Principal who should be dynamic, visionary, and accomplished academician with a proven exemplary performance record to take the college to the next level of operation.
Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the position of Principal whose title will change to Vice Chancellor once the college adopts the new name (SCU).
The Principal is the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the College; reporting to the Governing Council and working in close consultations with faculty members, AIC Central office and networking with key sponsors both local and international.
As the CEO, the office holder will be the overall Administrative and Academic head of the college whose responsibility will include:
- Overseeing the implementation of the policies laid down by the Governing Council.
- Directing, promoting and coordination of all the programs and activities of the college
- Representing and being spokesperson of the college
- Maintaining harmony and cooperation among academic and administrative staff
- Serving as the Chairman of the Academic Council and the Management board, convening meetings of these bodies as necessary to ensure the effective functioning of these bodies and the College
- Ensuring that each member of the College, other than Members of the Governing Council, makes their affirmation to uphold the values of the college.
- Assume administrative responsibility for the day to day operations of the college and its management
- To be responsible for the total welfare, conduct and discipline of staff and students
- To ensure that the financial and other needs of the College are made known in an appropriate way to the supporting stakeholders
- To ensure that the accounts of the college are kept in a manner acceptable to the Governing Council
- To provide the Governing Council with such reports on college affairs as required in fulfilling its functions effectively.
- To inform the Governing Council concerning the fulfillment of the Mission, Distinctives, Philosophy and Objects of the College as required by the Charter
- To perform any other duties consistent with the fulfillment of the Mission, Distinctives, Philosophy and Objects of the College
The individual should:
- Be a PhD holder from a recognized university and an international acclaimed scholar with proven teaching and research experience at a university level or related organization.
- Possess at least 4 years experience at the rank of senior lecturer or equivalent in a university.
- Must have served either as a Head of academic department or a Dean of Faculty/School.
- Have sound knowledge of strategic planning and visioning.
- Possess sound knowledge and skills in administration, promotion, management of teaching and research in a University environment.
- Demonstrate ability to recruit, train, retain, motivate, and manage a highly qualified diverse staff to achieve common goal.
- Exhibit high level of business orientation in his/her operations.
- Mature and sober evangelical Christian of high leadership and management repute demonstrated by positions previously held in reputable academic or research organizations; capable of making sound and impartial judgment.
- Demonstrate ability to mobilize resources, establish rapport between the college, and churches, industry and Christian organizations both at national and international level for a common purpose.
- Demonstrate ability to raise funds and other resources for the institution from several sources to fund and support various programs for the institution, including operational expenses, research, scholarships and other development activities.
- Demonstrate ability to develop academic programs, curricula and pursuit of the same to full implementation
- Demonstrate high level of communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Demonstrate ability to manage and control crisis
- Demonstrate ability to take initiative in developing a strategic plan upon which he/she will grow the college within the stipulated time frame.
- Demonstrate ability and willingness to take risk in starting small, but with a potential to grow along with the organization as one implements the strategic plan.
How to apply:
If you meet the above qualifications, submit the following in an application letter: Detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) including three referees. 1200 word statement of the candidate’s vision for the university, and a short statement on how to meet the requirements for this post
Salary: The salary and benefits will be negotiated within the college scale; but, applicants are encouraged to give priority to commitment to service thereby allowing themselves to exploit their ability and potential to grow the college in all aspects.
Application marked - “Application for Principal” should be forwarded by registered mail to:
Search Committee for Principal
Scott Theological College
P. O Box 49 Machakos, Kenya
NB: The application must be received no later than 30th January 2011
More details may be found on: www.scott.ac.ke